Take time to think about being a Dad...
Take some time and space to think about your role as a Dad; how you might see yourself as a Dad to a newborn baby through all the stages from early childhood and into the teenage.
Use the following questions to get you thinking:
- When you think about being a Dad, how do you feel?
- So far, what have you done to prepare for your new role as a Dad?
- What would help make you feel more prepared to care for your baby?
- Have you chatted about becoming a Dad with your parents, your partner's parents or friends with babies?
- What are the things that may have hindered your preparation?
- What could you do to change this?
- What do you think will be the main challenges for you after your baby is born?
- Is there anything you can do now to help you be better prepared for those challenges?
In the early days, being a Dad can be a bit of an emotional roller-coaster.
Having some idea of how to hold, settle and bath your baby will give you the confidence to enjoy your baby from the first moments of meeting each other. In fact your baby may already recognize the sound of your voice.