What services do we offer?
The Medical Social Work Department provides a support and counselling service to Maternity and Gynaecology patients of this hospital. We also provide a service to parents of Neonatal patients. The Medical Social Work Service is available both antenatally and postnatally. The service is available to Public, Semi-Private and Private Patients and is free of charge.
We provide counselling and support on a range of issues including:
- Unplanned/Crisis pregnancy
- A pregnancy if you are under the age of 18 years
- Substance misuse (including alcohol and drugs)
- Domestic Violence
- Pregnancies complicated by fetal anomalies
- The admission of a baby to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Child Welfare/Protection issues
- Mental Health
- Coping with stress and change
- Relationship issues
- Referral to specialist and community based support services
Information is also available on relevant community and voluntary support services, as well as on rights, benefits and entitlements.
To access the service:
If you would like to meet with a medical social worker, you are welcome to call to our department on the ground floor, jut inside the main door near the lift or phone Ph. (01) 637 3526 / (01) 637 3236 to make an appointment. Alternatively, you can ask a hospital staff member to make an appointment for you.
There is an answering machine on which it is safe to leave your details and the Medical Social Work Department Administrator will return your call as soon as it is possible.
Hours of Service:
09:30 - 17:00 hours, Monday to Friday